Monday, April 30, 2012

How to Choose Your First Bow


“The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind.”
  • Fred Bear

I wasn't raised to be an archer or hunter so I'm not sure what sparked the idea to buy my first bow and arrows, but I won't doubt that the sport is in my blood. Archery has accompanied humanity for more than 10,000 years, and though it has changed some, the essentials remain the same. When shopping for a bow, the archer must make one decision that will dictate all other decisions: What kind of bow do I buy? The two main choices are compound or traditional


The first compound bow was made in 1966 and has developed into the preferred type of bow for hunting. The pulley system on the limbs of the bow provide better range and arrow penetration, while the sites mounted on the riser allow for direct aiming. If someone is looking to purchase a bow specifically for hunting purposes, I'd recommend buying a compound. Other necessary purchases include a mechanical release and arrows tipped with mechanical broadheads.
     Traditional bows carry with them a longer history and provide a greater challenge during the hunt. Traditional bows come in many styles, such as the long bow or recurve bow. Without any accessories, the traditional bow is basically a stick and string. No sites come stock on a traditional bow, so it may take longer to develop consistent accuracy. However, this does not mean the traditional bow is less accurate than a compound. Other necessary purchases include a shooting tab and arrows with feather fletchings tipped fixed broadheads.
     The first bow I purchased was a Bear Grizzly recurve bow with a 50 pound draw weight. After some practice, my arrow groupings became consistent, and archery became a sort of meditation for me. If archery sounds like a hobby you might be interested in, there is plenty more information online to help you discover which style of archery is best for you. I will leave you with this video about how to perfect your aim with a traditional bow.    

No comments:

Post a Comment