Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Colorblind, Not Colorless



An optimist is a person who sees a green light everywhere, while a pessimist sees only the red stoplight... the truly wise person is colorblind.”                                                                                                                                               
                                                                           -Albert Schweitzer
             
Though it seems insignificant, discovering I was colorblind is the main reason my thought process works the way it does.  Imagine learning as a young child the way you see isn’t like the way the majority of the world sees.  My grandfather and two of my older brothers are colorblind. My mother grew concerned when I would consistently ask about the colors of my crayons.  She’d try to teach me, but certain colors looked indistinguishable from others.

          At first I felt stupid, like I wasn’t smart enough to learn the difference between blue and purple, but my mother quelled that fear quickly by telling me I was simply different.  Soon I began to question what it was to see “correctly.” Philosophical thoughts about the true nature of reality boggled my six-year-old mind.  I began to think that maybe everyone saw the world differently and no one knew it, or I was the one who saw what was real and everyone else was wrong. I decided at a young age that reality is subjective, and though all realities may be different they are all equal and real.  This realization helped me cope with many difficulties in life, such as my brother being diagnosed with schizo-affective disorder, but that is a story for another time.

Being colorblind also has many benefits. Sure, it can become a little irritating when people try to test your sight by asking about the color of every object in the room, but it is a good conversation topic. Also, I have read that colorblind people can see better in the dark and are able to distinguish some camouflaged patterns better than someone with normal sight.

 Here is a video to help you discover whether or not you’re colorblind (it’s much more typical in men than women).   

If you’re looking for a more accurate test, here are a couple you can buy online.




No comments:

Post a Comment